Season 4 blasts off with a conversation Chris Bjorling and Bill Banham have with Dr. Ben Slade, Branch Head, Langley Workforce Planning, Development & Analytics Office at NASA.
- You and Bill previously talked on the HRchat show back in 2018. When you introduced yourself, you began by saying "If I were to distil my job description into a single sentence, it would be: Helping NASA make better decisions, particularly about workforce and people strategy”. Talk about the challenges of doing this at NASA.
- You’ve spoken about your pride in your team, your love for what NASA stands for, and your faith in what the agency strives to achieve. What does it mean for collaboration and productivity levels when employees are super-engaged and aligned with the mission of their employer brand?
- You’ve talked at events such as the People Analytics Canada Summit in Toronto about why you suggest investment in People Analytics tech doesn’t have to break the bank to achieve the results a company needs. Why do you believe this?
- What are your suggested 4 areas where you can seek out collaborators with the needed knowledge, skills, and capabilities? (internal HR allies etc)
- You are a big proponent of partnering to access more data points. In the wider world of work, how has the job of attracting and engaging skills not available ‘in-house’ changed as a result of The Great Resignation and the rise of the Gig Economy?
- From a culture and people processes perspective, what does a high-performing company mean to you?
- We've recently seen the launch of the James Webb Telescope, which will find the first galaxies that formed in the early universe and peer through dusty clouds to see stars forming planetary systems! What upcoming NASA missions most excite you?
About Ben Slade
Ben holds an M.S. degree in Applied Psychology and a PhD in Industrial-Organizational Psychology from Clemson University, with a focus on applied judgment and decision-making. His responsibilities at NASA have included business performance measurement, strategic workforce planning, data-driven program analysis, and predictive forecasting, including attrition modeling.
Ben started as an intern at Goddard Space Flight Center in Maryland and has been working as
Talking About Ways To Improve Company Culture and People Performance
The People and Performance Podcast is a show that dives into all things related to raising performance in the working world around us. We investigate how technology and HR processes are inextricably linked to the employee experience and the bottom line.
Chris Bjorling, Co-host
Christopher Bjorling is President at Fidello Inc., a consulting and services firm specializing in improving human performance.
For over 30 years Chris has led Fidello in creating unique talent management solutions. Through the products and services he and his team have created over the years, his organization has helped clients design, develop, implement and integrate talent management processes and systems.
Bill Banham, Co-host
Bill Banham, Publisher at The HR Gazette, Host of the popular HRchat Podcast and Organizer of events such as DisruptHR London.
Bill has worked with lots of business tech and HR-focused brands in the UK and North America including HRreview, TalentCulture, HRmarketer, Sprigg HR, and Team Fitness Tool.
Contact us to learn more!